Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Muscle Itch after Acute injury
An_227250 posted:
I pulled my piriformis, had L4 injury --- last Nov. I have been an exercise instructor (step, weights, running, cycling) for over 30 year. I was able to push through pain and am back to normal EXCEPT an itching sensation in the exact area (piriformis/glute) that comes and goes. There does not seem to be a pattern but when this happens - this internal itching - I am driven nuts. Any reasons? I cannot find anything. No one, Dr., Chrio, Massage -- knows.

DUKE MEDICINE
David Berkoff, MD responded:
This is interesting in that I have recently treated a patient with a similar problem that had the same "deep itch" complaint. SHe said it was like an itch she could not scratch. We ended up sending her for graston, which is an extreme form of deep tissue massage. I think this itch may be from tiny scar bands that are holding onto a small part of the injured area creating this problem. Sometimes if the Graston does not work I will do a simple injection (if indicated) and that will resolve the itching although I do not do this if the only symptom is that nagging itch.
Good luck.

joannateamtype1 replied to David Berkoff, MD's response:
Thanks so much -- just in the event this does disappear -- to keep my sanity - what type of injection should I look for. You are right - deep tissue massage helps -- I cannot afford it all the time....boo hoo.

iwritewords replied to David Berkoff, MD's response:
I received a bad dog bite on my thigh just above the knee four months ago. It became infected bad enough to admit me to the hospital for four days back at Easter to administer several antibiotics, both oral and IV. After I was released, I had no other problems ... the puncture wounds healed nicely, but the discoloration/bruising has never faded & its hard as a rock under the skin. I've been treating the wound site with hot & cold compresses & arnica gel for months now with little, if any effect, I'm now resigned to the fact that the discoloration & hardness may be permanent, but suddenly, this weekend I started experiencing a bad itch in the area of the wound ... an odd itch that when scratched is not relieved at all. The wound is not warm to the touch, shows no signs of redness & causes me no pain .. just the bad itch. Do you think deep tissue massage will help me too?

joannateamtype1 replied to iwritewords's response:
It did help me. As a matter of fact I now regurlarly get deep tissue massages and the itch disappeared. It took a long time.

Helpful Tips

My Easy Fix
I went through ALL the treatments, physical therapy, steroid injections, different shoes, "the boot"...none of it worked. Then, I had a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center