Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Same shoulder pain 2 years after surgery
    DG_2020 posted:
    I'm 26 years old and have played baseball my whole life. After high school I injured my shoulder some how. I only have pain during the throwing motion and when lifting things above my shoulder. 2 years ago I had surgery to repair a possible SLAP tear and cyst. The doctor could not find a cyst or SLAP tear during surgery but repaired a tear in my bicep tendon. I did 8 weeks of physical therapy after surgery. I still have the same shoulder pain today that I did before surgery.

    I'm looking for some advice on where to go from here or possible options.

    Mary Ann Wilmarth, PT, DPT, OCS responded:
    As you know, the shoulder is a complex joint. In order to function at your optimal level, and without pain, you need to maintain strength in your shoulder blade, upper back and rotator cuff muscles. It is important to keep up with the right exercises on a regular basis. If you do not, then you can get excessive pinching or impingement in your shoulder, especially with overhead activities. This can also occur with the throwing motion, particularly if you also have tightness in the back of your shoulder.

    I would recommend that you see a physical therapist specializing in orthopaedics and/or sports to assess what is going on with your shoulder. You can go to and then search under Find-a-PT.

    Dr. Wilmarth

    Helpful Tips

    Hydration and the HeatExpert
    Keep in mind with the warmer weather upon us, that our bodies will take some time to adapt to the temperature changes. Our bodies adapt ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    26 of 36 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center