Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Same shoulder pain 2 years after surgery
DG_2020 posted:
I'm 26 years old and have played baseball my whole life. After high school I injured my shoulder some how. I only have pain during the throwing motion and when lifting things above my shoulder. 2 years ago I had surgery to repair a possible SLAP tear and cyst. The doctor could not find a cyst or SLAP tear during surgery but repaired a tear in my bicep tendon. I did 8 weeks of physical therapy after surgery. I still have the same shoulder pain today that I did before surgery.

I'm looking for some advice on where to go from here or possible options.

Thanks

Mary Ann Wilmarth, PT, DPT, OCS responded:
As you know, the shoulder is a complex joint. In order to function at your optimal level, and without pain, you need to maintain strength in your shoulder blade, upper back and rotator cuff muscles. It is important to keep up with the right exercises on a regular basis. If you do not, then you can get excessive pinching or impingement in your shoulder, especially with overhead activities. This can also occur with the throwing motion, particularly if you also have tightness in the back of your shoulder.

I would recommend that you see a physical therapist specializing in orthopaedics and/or sports to assess what is going on with your shoulder. You can go to www.moveforwardpt.com and then search under Find-a-PT.

Dr. Wilmarth

Helpful Tips

Running ShoesExpert
Remember to replace your running shoes every 300-400- miles or every 6 months. Many running related injuries are due to worn out footwear. More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 39 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center