Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Neuropathy normal with a sprained foot????
betsey2u posted:
June 18th I I took a bad fall. I landed on the top of my foot and a golf ball sized lump appeared ontop (and slightly to the right) of my right foot. I got the swelling to go down and ended up seeing a doctor a couple weeks later because it wasnt and still isnt down all the way. He looked at it and said it was probably not broken because I was walking on it and that where he pressed on my foot I did not jump out of my skin in pain. I expressed my concerns for feelings I was having in my foot,.feelings of someone pouring cold water on my foot. He kinda blew that off with asking me if it felt good and a chuckle. He told me to give it a few more weeks. Since then I do not have that feeling as much as I now am focused on feelings of my leg buzzing (kinda like it is asleep or something,.but of course it is not) and feelings my viens pulseing? (feels like bugs under my skin or something). These feelings are most often in the morning or when I have been walking around for a long time ,.like grocery shopping or whatever. Are these feelings just part of having a sprained foot? Is this normal. It is totally freaking me out. Specially since the other day my leg was buzzing so bad that my other leg felt it also.
And if it is not normal what can I expect when I make an appointment to go back to the doctor? Maybe I totally messed up my nerves and they wont be normal again? I am a mother of 2 and cannot sit all day. Once in awhile I put up my foot and put someheat on it or soak it in epson salts. But other than that not much else. Thanks for any insight anyone can give me.

betsey2u responded:
I forgot to say that the lump is very high up on my foot.,directly in front of the ankle. (and to the right)

Mary Ann Wilmarth, PT, DPT, OCS responded:
It sounds like you had an inversion sprain of your right ankle. This can affect any or all of the three main ligaments that are on that side of your foot. It is important to take care of a sprain initially and ongoing, especially if you continue to have swelling. The foot is affected a lot by gravity and fluids can accumulate down in the ankle and foot, particularly after a sprain. You should make sure to elevate your foot above your heart at least once a day - before bed is a good time. If you first try some ankle pumps - pointing and flexing the foot as tolerated - and then put ice around the ankle for 10-20 minutes while it is elevated, this should help with the swelling and inflammation.

The symptoms that you are describing can often come from pressure on nerves. This can be worse with swelling. However, you should see a doctor, one specializing in orthopaedics or neurology would be best, to evaluate you.

With any ankle sprain, it is very important to rehabilitate it well so that you do not reinjure it. As a mother of two you want to make sure that you can do all the running around that you need to do! Sometimes wearing an ankle brace for a short time and/or with certain activities can help. I would recommend seeing a physical therapist so that you can learn how to improve the strength and balance for your foot and ankle. Check out www.moveforwardpt.com under "Find a PT" for more information.

Make time for yourself and be sure to get medical advice regarding your issues.

Dr. Wilmarth

Helpful Tips

My Easy Fix
I went through ALL the treatments, physical therapy, steroid injections, different shoes, "the boot"...none of it worked. Then, I had a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center