Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Pop in upper quadracep area
MiamiJohn posted:
I was working out this morning doing my ususal leg routine. Machine squats followed by machine lunges. However today I did walking lunges with 20lb kettle bells in each hand. On my 3 set as I was nearing the end, I heard/felt a "pop" in my upper quad area just below my hip, which was followed by a "tingling" sensation about 4" below the area where the "pop" occured. Any idea or suggestions as to what has happened? I am not in pain so to speak only some discomfort in the area. Thank you.
John

Mary Ann Wilmarth, PT, DPT, OCS responded:
Anytime you hear a pop there is potential for some tearing of soft tissue, this can be muscle, tendon, or ligament depending on the area injured. This can range from microtears to larger ones. The tingling can indicate nerve involvement.

In the short-term you should ice and rest.

I would recommend seeing your physician or physical therapist to have an evaluation of the area so that they can advise you regarding appropriate care and rehabilitation.

Good luck.

Dr. Wilmarth

MiamiJohn replied to Mary Ann Wilmarth, PT, DPT, OCS's response:
Thank you Mary, for the information.

Helpful Tips

pain on your bikeExpert
Proper bike fit is one of the more important elements to enjoying a ride. A proper bike fit can help prevent neck pain, back pain, hand ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center