Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Multiple Ankle Cysts/Knots
tmckenzie135 posted:
My 15 year old daughter plays tennis. Approximately 3 weeks ago a painless knot appeared on the front of her left ankle. Yesterday, she noticed another on the side of her left ankle and a third on her right. The are a little tender only when pressed on. The only other problem she is having is some cramping on the upper right abdomen (right under her ribs ) when doing laps.

Should I have her seen by PCP, podiatrist or orthopedic?
Mary Ann Wilmarth, PT, DPT, OCS responded:
Because there are a couple of areas involved, including the abdomen, I would suggest seeing her PCP first. It is important to rule out anything that may be more systemic, that is, with connections between the torso and the legs in this case. Once cleared by her PCP then your daughter could see either an orthopaedic doctor or a physical therapist.

You can look under Find a PT at

Some questions that the doctor may ask include the following:
Has she been ill at all?
Does she drink adequate water?
Has she injured her ankles before, ie. sprained ankles?
Does she stretch regularly?
What about foam rolling for the legs?

Good luck.

Dr. Wilmarth

Helpful Tips

pain on your bikeExpert
Proper bike fit is one of the more important elements to enjoying a ride. A proper bike fit can help prevent neck pain, back pain, hand ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 24 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center