Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
foot fracture
exnucleartech posted:
I have grandson with lsenfranc fracture and is worried about playing after possible surgery. what can i tell him to reassure him?

Mary Ann Wilmarth, PT, DPT, OCS responded:
A LisFranc fracture is not that common and it is important to get appropriate care immediately after the injury. It is a fracture in the mid-foot, which may or may not require surgery. If an orthopaedic surgeon recommends surgery, then it is important to follow the doctor's advice. Since the injury is to the foot where there is weight-bearing, walking and most sports can be affected by this disruption in the kinetic chain.

I am not sure if you are saying that your grandson may be having surgery. People who do not have surgery with a LisFranc fracture can often recover within 2 months on average. When surgery is performed, then this is followed with physical therapy. People can get back to activities, but it is critical to talk with your orthopaedic surgeon and physical therapist to know when this will work for the patient.

Go to www.moveforwardpt.com to find a physical therapist near you via Find a PT.

Dr. Wilmarth

Helpful Tips

Ankle sprain prevention
There is a new school of thought emerging on how to prevent ankle sprains. A new training device called "The Shifter" has shown to increase ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center