Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Strange Running Injury
    sudz93 posted:
    I am an 18 year old male, and I run cross country and track & field for my college. I've been running since I was in middle school. Last year during cross counrty I experienced a deep pain in my right quad. I ignored it thinking it was soreness. I also noticed that my times were getting slower and slower. After a month I knew I needed medical help. My doctor drew blood and informed me that my CPK levels were close to 1000, but he didn't know what was going on. I sat for about two months, only to come back and run into the same problem, but worse. I took another month off and ran into same problem again. But this time it was in my left leg. I'm not what this is, but I need help before I start my second season.
    Mary Ann Wilmarth, PT, DPT, OCS responded:
    CPK levels can change with exercise. However, elevated CPK levels should be looked into more closely. If your doctor does not know what is going on, as you mentioned, then I would advise seeking another opinion. You could see a physician specializing in sports medicine or a neurologist. The doctors should be able to assist you in determining a differential diagnosis.

    Once you are cleared by your physician, then you may benefit from seeing a physical therapist who can assist you with proper training and rehabilitation for exercise and running.

    You are right to get this looked at before your second season of cross country and track & field.

    Good luck.

    Dr. Wilmarth

    Helpful Tips

    Hydration and the HeatExpert
    Keep in mind with the warmer weather upon us, that our bodies will take some time to adapt to the temperature changes. Our bodies adapt ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    26 of 36 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center