Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Shin splints or stress fracture?
Sirchamp posted:
Last year I began my regular soccer season and about half way through I began to experience horrible, sharp pain while I played and after i stopped. I rapped my shins thinking that they were shin splints that were in both legs and it seemed to help. So after my season I stopped most high activity actions like soccer or running and it went away. I ran a couple times after about 2 or 3 months and it still hurt but not as bad. So I recently began to run cross country and I ran a meet. We did a warm up and after I stopped running it my left lower ankle/shin hurt terribly. I took some ibruphrofun and ran really good. I went to bed and when I woke up with my shins throbbing. I got out of bed and took more ibruphrofun and as I walked around during the day it would hurt. I ran cross country sprints yesterday and after each sprint I would stop and once I did, my lower left leg would throb with a terrible pain. When I walked to get a drink and lifted my leg if hurt worse. But while I ran, it went away sorta but was still there. Is it shin splints? Or a strees fracture? Should I consult a doctor?

JacS599 responded:
I had shin splints a long time ago, in grade 7, which was about 17 years ago.
My symptoms were a bit different, so I'm not sure if what you have is shin splints.
Basically for me, EVERYTHING made my shins hurt. I especially remember trying to get through gym class without anyone knowing because I was always a tough, tom-boy type. By everything making my shins hurt, I even mean when I was throwing a shot put. That was when I knew for sure that something was wrong, when it wasn't just impact activities like running, but all kids of movement like throwing. The pain usually dulled out after some rest time and ice, but they were hurting most of the time. It was a sharp, achey, throbbing pain, that also hurt when pressed/touched.

I hope this helps you out. I'd still go to the doc to confirm. I didn't, but when talked about it with a doc years later, he confirmed that's what it was.

Cheers.

p.s. Shin splints are synonymous with stress fractures.

Helpful Tips

My Easy Fix
I went through ALL the treatments, physical therapy, steroid injections, different shoes, "the boot"...none of it worked. Then, I had a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center