Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Deep tissue injury to thigh
An_247658 posted:
My son was playing basketball and got hit by another player's knee in his thigh above the knee. A week later it is still painful and hard to bend the knee. He had xrays today and nothing was broken. It appears to be a deep tissue injury but he was not given any treatment ideas. Suggestions?

deadmanwalking57 responded:
My training book suggests this is a severe muscle trauma. If you did not wrap the leg and apply ice packs on and off the first 3 days, the injured tissue damaged other tissue, making the whole thing worse. If he stayed off the leg the past week by using crutches, that was a good thing. Moving other body parts is good; the injured part, no.

Apply warmth to the area, 15 minutes twice a day. This is to stimulate circulation and help it heal faster. Pain should go down in a few days and he can begin stretching and gradually use it more. Taking your time in recovery is the best way to ensure full healing. Rush it, and it will be weak and painful for months or years.

The key to recovery is to stay pain free, otherwise you are re-aggravating the same injury. He can get back 100% to where he was, but that should take a month or more. The more severe the injury, the longer the recovery.

Helpful Tips

Ankle sprain prevention
There is a new school of thought emerging on how to prevent ankle sprains. A new training device called "The Shifter" has shown to increase ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center