Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
torn glute muscles?
meshep posted:
Lifted too much too many times a while back. Think I tore my muscles in my butt. Both are quite sore and bruises showed up on the inside of of my upper thighs. Had x-ray,showed no bone damage. Will an MRI be more conclusive? My foot went numb over time though. Acupuncture has relieved a lot of pain and I'm getting around better. What do you think everyone? thanks

deadmanwalking57 responded:
Oops.

Over confident. Not enough knowledge of proper training techniques or potential injury.

Rushing training volume is NOT the best training idea, and a sure recipe for injury.

Meanwhile, if you can, walk and or do light stretches that cause no PAIN. In moving, even very light exercise, the body produces substances that help heal anything injured or inflamed. The net result EVERYDAY, as you do very light exercise in recovery a few times each day, is that you feel a little better day by day. Don't do any weight work until you can walk normally, and get in and out of a chair normally, and other every day things. You want to be totally healed first.

Gentle heat applied or sore areas for 10 - 15 minutes will increase circulation and help you heal a little faster. It just need to be slightly warming. Over heat the damaged tissues and you risk re-injury.

Don't lift anything you can't do at least five times, unless it fell on your mother or daughter and you are fueled by adrenaline and react to fast to think about. Then it MIGHT be safe.

Severe injury should never be part of a training plan. And lifting very heavy beyond your previous maximum is risky. Stick to 5% increases, once every three to four weeks. With that you can still DOUBLE your strength in a year quite safely.

That mantra of good rhyme and bad information, "No pain, no gain" is FICTION. Please tell that to anyone you meet.

Helpful Tips

Ankle sprain prevention
There is a new school of thought emerging on how to prevent ankle sprains. A new training device called "The Shifter" has shown to increase ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center