Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Torn oblique muscle
kathieb posted:
I was working out using 2 bands and working out my obliques. Now I have pain in my right side across from by belly button that hurts when I twist to that side, cough or sneeze. Its a burning, stinging sensation that becomes a very sharp pain. I can still work out but not my core. Is this what it is? I have worked out with weights for 3 years.

Mary Ann Wilmarth, PT, DPT, OCS responded:
Hello kathieb

It sounds like you could have strained one of your oblique muscles, either the external or internal obliques or both. It is not as common as other types of muscle strains, but it can be quite persistent if not taken care of properly.

It is important to rest and ice the area initially. This can be difficult because the obliques are part of the core, which is involved in most movements. If you do not have good core stability, then it may be more likely to strain another muscle.

Because of the difficulty in treating this, I recommend that you see a PT for your rehabilitation.
Go to Find a PT at www.moveforwardpt.com

Good luck and do not return to activities too soon.

Dr. Mary Ann Wilmarth

Helpful Tips

pain on your bikeExpert
Proper bike fit is one of the more important elements to enjoying a ride. A proper bike fit can help prevent neck pain, back pain, hand ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center