Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Includes Expert Content
    Torn oblique muscle
    kathieb posted:
    I was working out using 2 bands and working out my obliques. Now I have pain in my right side across from by belly button that hurts when I twist to that side, cough or sneeze. Its a burning, stinging sensation that becomes a very sharp pain. I can still work out but not my core. Is this what it is? I have worked out with weights for 3 years.

Mary Ann Wilmarth, PT, DPT, OCS responded:
    Hello kathieb

It sounds like you could have strained one of your oblique muscles, either the external or internal obliques or both. It is not as common as other types of muscle strains, but it can be quite persistent if not taken care of properly.

It is important to rest and ice the area initially. This can be difficult because the obliques are part of the core, which is involved in most movements. If you do not have good core stability, then it may be more likely to strain another muscle.

Because of the difficulty in treating this, I recommend that you see a PT for your rehabilitation.
    Go to Find a PT at www.moveforwardpt.com

Good luck and do not return to activities too soon.

Dr. Mary Ann Wilmarth

Helpful Tips

Hydration and the HeatExpert
    Keep in mind with the warmer weather upon us, that our bodies will take some time to adapt to the temperature changes. Our bodies adapt ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    26 of 36 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center