Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
proximal tibia fracture
superaunt7 posted:
fell 5 1/2 months ago and broke my left fibula at knee height. bed rest, splint for 10 1/2 weeks. i was also diagnosed with a "sprained" left ankle. Xrays didn't show anything.

The ankle hasn't healed and I finally got an MRI done on October 2nd - results - truncated proximal tibia fracture. My doctor has delayed casting and bone stimulator for 1 week so he can research more since this is an uncommon fracture.

What can your recommend as interim solution to help manage pain and tingling in foot.

Mary Ann Wilmarth, PT, DPT, OCS responded:
Hello superaunt7

Your are really best to speak with your physician and physical therapist regarding your care.

Ice packs around the ankle for 10 minutes at a time may help with swelling and pain relief.

TENS, which is transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation, is a modality that can assist with pain relief. However, this would need to be cleared through your healthcare providers.

With any pain relief measures, the tingling should decrease or stay the same. If the tingling increases, then discontinue any use of modalities and speak with your physician or PT.

It is important that you follow up with appropriate medical care for this problem.

Best of luck.

Dr. Mary Ann Wilmarth

Helpful Tips

Ankle injuries
Anything beyond a grade 1 lateral ankle strain I feel is best treated in a Fx boot and or cast with WBAT or crutches. Follow up xrays a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center