Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Tendon and Ligament problems.
JacS599 posted:
I've had Osgood Schlatter's Disease in both knees when I was in grade 6, I've had tendinitis in my left wrist, I had a cyst removed from a tendon in my right hand, and now I have, what I'm almost 100% sure is, Plantar Fasciitis in my left foot (haven't been to the doc yet, but I have the exact symptoms).

Why do I keep having these types of tendon and ligament issues in my life? Are some peoples' bodies just like that? Besides stretching, are there any suppliments or vitamins I can take to help improve ligament and tendon health?

Thanks.

Mary Ann Wilmarth, PT, DPT, OCS responded:
Hello JacS599

Some people can in fact have tendons and ligaments that are more stiff (hypomobile) or more mobile (hypermobile) than the average person. If the tendons or ligaments are stiff, tight or hypomobile, then there is a tendency to strain these structures. This happens when there is a sudden stretch or pull to the area. This can cause micro tears in the connective tissue, swelling and inflammation.

Stretching is important for these tight structures. However, the timing of stretching may be even more important. For example, with plantar fasciitis it is important to move the foot and ankle before getting out of bed in the morning and before going from sitting to standing. This allows the soft tissue to move and stretch before having to bear your body weight. If you stand on tight tissue, or step quickly, then you could strain the area.

It is also as important to have good muscle strength and balance around all joints. Other things that can help are drinking the appropriate amount of water and wearing appropriate footwear.

I would recommend checking with your primary care doctor or seeing a physical therapist who can do a thorough assessment of your particular situation.

Go to Find a PT at:
www.moveforwardpt.com

Remember that your body needs just the right amount of movement. Good luck.

Dr. Mary Ann Wilmarth

Helpful Tips

Running ShoesExpert
Remember to replace your running shoes every 300-400- miles or every 6 months. Many running related injuries are due to worn out footwear. More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 39 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center