Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Tight Groin muscles related to back problems?
Robbin123 posted:
Hi I am new to this discussion group so I thought I would throw out a question I have. I am an avid cyclist and have been battling off and on back problems. My right hip started a few years ago just getting tight and would pinch down in the bottom of the hip area towards the bottom of my butt. I have been seeing a PT and use orthoditics. I decided to try some different stretches, stretching my psoas muscle which I know gets tight but my right groin muscle feels tight too so I tried a new stretch for that. Could a tight groin muscle create hip and back problems? Robbin123

Krister responded:
Hi Robbin - answer yes! But do not stop with your psoas, do stretch all your groin/hip muscles. Probably you also have to strengthen your glutes, medius and maximus. And you should see a massage-therapeut for some soft tissue manipulation of back, buts and legs.
Regards
Krister

Robbin123 replied to Krister's response:
Thanks Krister for your reply. I have been stretching and it seems to make a difference. I am going to touch base with my PT and work on your suggestions. Thanks

edc99353 replied to Robbin123's response:
TAI CHI? PT AND ICE

Mary Ann Wilmarth, PT, DPT, OCS responded:
Hello Robbin123

A tight groin can definitely be part of the problem with hip and back problems. The low back and hips work closely together to have you functioning optimally with cycling and your everyday activities. Your body is looking for a balance of strength and flexibility for your back, hips and lower extremities. If anything is tight or weak, then you end up with dysfunction and pain.

With cycling, you are obviously in a flexed or bent forward position. This can further tighten the psoas and surrounding muscles. Therefore, it is important to stretch those muscles on a regular basis. You also want to make sure that the extension, or backward bending, is within normal limits for your spine.

Have you had your bike fit to you? There are places like BikeFit.com where therapists are trained specifically in the proper bike fit. It is important to have a physical therapist do this fitting because the PT will pay specific attention to the problem areas and determine the cause.

You can go to www.moveforwardpt.com and then search under Find-a-PT.

Even though you may cycle many miles, you could still have certain muscles in the lower quarter, low back and legs, that may be weak. Again, this can be another part of the cause. Have the PT assess your muscle strength and then work on strengthening any weak muscles. This can often include the gluteal and thigh muscles.

With any back pain, I would also recommend that you monitor your postures, body mechanics and ergonomics. Use good support in the lumbar spine when sitting. Get up and stretch backwards and or walk around the room every 30 minutes. Make sure your computer is set up ergonomically for you, your back and your hips and lower extremities.

Hopefully, this gives you a few places to start. Remember, it is all connected and balance is key. Good luck.

Dr. Mary Ann Wilmarth

Helpful Tips

pain on your bikeExpert
Proper bike fit is one of the more important elements to enjoying a ride. A proper bike fit can help prevent neck pain, back pain, hand ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center