Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    foot and leg injury induced severe atrophy treatment
    edc99353 posted:
    1985 knee injury lead to tkr 2003, but severe atrophy has lead to long term severe pain, unable to walk and mostly bedreidden. This has lead to major strokes and open heart surgery. I have gone from excellent health to near death from a twisted foot and leg? Why won't anyone help me? Want can I do?
    Mary Ann Wilmarth, PT, DPT, OCS responded:
    Hello edc99353

    It sounds like you have been dealing with a lot of health issues. I would recommend that you start by coordinating with your primary care physician (PCP). Your PCP can do a thorough medical screening and start a differential diagnosis. You want to find out why you are having atrophy in your leg. Often, this can mean that there is pressure on a nerve somewhere. An orthopaedic doctor can then assess your leg further. Have you been back to see the doctor who did your TKR?

    A physical therapist can also work with you to help with strengthening and gait and get you back to better function.
    You can go to and then search under Find-a-PT.

    Good luck with this. You will need to take it one step at a time, both literally and figuratively.

    Dr. Wilmarth

    Helpful Tips

    My Easy Fix
    I went through ALL the treatments, physical therapy, steroid injections, different shoes, "the boot"...none of it worked. Then, I had a ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center