Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
foot and leg injury induced severe atrophy treatment
edc99353 posted:
1985 knee injury lead to tkr 2003, but severe atrophy has lead to long term severe pain, unable to walk and mostly bedreidden. This has lead to major strokes and open heart surgery. I have gone from excellent health to near death from a twisted foot and leg? Why won't anyone help me? Want can I do?

Mary Ann Wilmarth, PT, DPT, OCS responded:
Hello edc99353

It sounds like you have been dealing with a lot of health issues. I would recommend that you start by coordinating with your primary care physician (PCP). Your PCP can do a thorough medical screening and start a differential diagnosis. You want to find out why you are having atrophy in your leg. Often, this can mean that there is pressure on a nerve somewhere. An orthopaedic doctor can then assess your leg further. Have you been back to see the doctor who did your TKR?

A physical therapist can also work with you to help with strengthening and gait and get you back to better function.
You can go to www.moveforwardpt.com and then search under Find-a-PT.

Good luck with this. You will need to take it one step at a time, both literally and figuratively.

Dr. Wilmarth

Helpful Tips

pain on your bikeExpert
Proper bike fit is one of the more important elements to enjoying a ride. A proper bike fit can help prevent neck pain, back pain, hand ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 23 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center