Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Strained upper back muscle
    nobody102 posted:
    Help. I look like "the hunchback of notre dame". I have a very large bbump in upper back, below the shoulder blade. I did not notice it until three days ago. I was at the gym doing my normal routine on some machines. Did not feel any pain at the gym, or even the next day. The day after that, I noticed that my shoulder/upper back on one side was sore. Thought it was just from a normal workout. Went to bed. Next day, still sore. Then that evening, my wife said, "what's that on your back?" I looked in the mirror, and started freaking out. Huge hump! I have been taking Ibuprofen and using a heating pad for the last three days. Not much improvement. The funny, thing is, it does not hurt as bad as at looks. I can function, work. It is just tender if I arch my shoulders back. No bruising showing. Going to a Ortho tomorrow. Is this normal for a mucle pull? Should't the swelling bo going down by now???

Helpful Tips

My Easy Fix
    I went through ALL the treatments, physical therapy, steroid injections, different shoes, "the boot"...none of it worked. Then, I had a ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center