Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
protein shakes
eramirez posted:
My son is 16 years old and he is doing exercise and he is the wrestling team in school and he wants to drink protein shakes. I heard they are not good for minors because of their hormones is this true? But other information said is ok for him to drink them!!!

Anon_22455 responded:
First off, I am wondering what does he hope to accomplish with the protein shakes; what is his goal? (i.e. building muscle)

I don't have enough knowledge to say if it's good for a teenager or not to drink protein shakes. But, and this is true for adults too, just adding protein shakes to one's diet won't miraculously change their bodies, whatever their goals may be.

I think that protein shakes are helpful when one is short on time and need to get something in their bodies for nutrition before of after a workout but I don't think they should be a nutrition staple for anyone.

How is his nutrition? Does he have access to a nutrionist or a personal trainer? Can his wrestling coach give him nutrition advice?

Helpful Tips

Hydration and the HeatExpert
Keep in mind with the warmer weather upon us, that our bodies will take some time to adapt to the temperature changes. Our bodies adapt ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center