Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Muscle indentation
cameka2010 posted:
Have had an indentation in my upper right thigh muscle for months. Does anyone know what could be causing this?
Mary Ann Wilmarth, PT, DPT, OCS responded:

There could be many possible reasons for this dent that you see in your thigh. This could include, but is not limited to, the following:
- a partial muscle tear
- muscle wasting
- a soft tissue deformity: in fact, sometimes this can be from habitual positions that cause pressure
- fascia imbalances
- muscle imbalances

It is difficult to know for sure without assessing your strength and soft tissue in the involved area.

I would recommend checking with a physical therapist who can do a full assessment. You can find a PT near you at Find a PT -

Once you determine the cause, then the PT can assist with your recovery.

Good luck.
Dr. Mary Ann Wilmarth

Helpful Tips

Ankle injuries
Anything beyond a grade 1 lateral ankle strain I feel is best treated in a Fx boot and or cast with WBAT or crutches. Follow up xrays a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center