Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Iliopsoas muscle tear
    An_251043 posted:
    I have a detached iliopsoas muscle at the lesser triochanter. (Doc's term) In other words, a torn muscle at the hip flexor!
    Any suggestions?
    Mary Ann Wilmarth, PT, DPT, OCS responded:

    It sounds like you have been to your doctor for this already. I would recommend that you see a physical therapist. You can find someone in your area by looking at Find a PT at:

    I am not sure of your age or the mechanism of injury. These are things that should be taken into account while planning your rehabilitation. This generally includes rest and then a program of flexibility and strengthening for the hips, core and legs. It is important to proceed at an appropriate pace though and therefore a physical therapist can advise you individually.

    Good luck.

    Dr. Wilmarth
    Dr. Mary Ann Wilmarth

    Helpful Tips

    Hydration and the HeatExpert
    Keep in mind with the warmer weather upon us, that our bodies will take some time to adapt to the temperature changes. Our bodies adapt ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    26 of 36 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center