Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Iliopsoas muscle tear
An_251043 posted:
I have a detached iliopsoas muscle at the lesser triochanter. (Doc's term) In other words, a torn muscle at the hip flexor!
Any suggestions?
Mary Ann Wilmarth, PT, DPT, OCS responded:

It sounds like you have been to your doctor for this already. I would recommend that you see a physical therapist. You can find someone in your area by looking at Find a PT at:

I am not sure of your age or the mechanism of injury. These are things that should be taken into account while planning your rehabilitation. This generally includes rest and then a program of flexibility and strengthening for the hips, core and legs. It is important to proceed at an appropriate pace though and therefore a physical therapist can advise you individually.

Good luck.

Dr. Wilmarth
Dr. Mary Ann Wilmarth

Helpful Tips

Hydration and the HeatExpert
Keep in mind with the warmer weather upon us, that our bodies will take some time to adapt to the temperature changes. Our bodies adapt ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 35 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center