Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hurt Right Lat Muscle From Throwing A Ball?
jmrrice posted:
I hurt my lat muscle playing softball last Spring/Summer from throwing too hard and too much. It felt like a badly pulled muscle and became a little swollen. I let it rest for a month or so, tried to play again and it started hurting and swelled up again. I recently tried to play again, four and a half months later, and threw three balls and felt it tweak again. When I got home it had swelled back up and feels like it has a knot in there. I noticed the knot when I first hurt my side and it has been present since, but is more noticeable after I throw. What are some possible diagnosis for this and is there anything I can try to do to get it to stop hurting and swelling whenever I throw? Thank you ahead of time.

jmrrice responded:
Just thought I would add a little more info to help narrow down where the injury is since the Latissimus Dorsi is pretty big. It is the area down my side just below my armpit area. When I initially hurt it, it swelled and bruised. It hasn't bruised since, but the swelling comes back whenever I throw. Thanks again.

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

pain on your bikeExpert
Proper bike fit is one of the more important elements to enjoying a ride. A proper bike fit can help prevent neck pain, back pain, hand ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 23 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center