Skip to content
I want to drive again.
NumbToes posted:
I was told it was a sprain 3 weeks ago. My ankle
was a cantalope and now a softball. My family
has let me sleep downstairs because I'm unable
get up there. I get exhausted with my cruthches.
But I know I need them. There is no way I could drive. Even now. Today I was able to slowly get my heal flat on the foot for ten seconds. Which tells me I have to be getting better.
My question's:
1.Why is my foot so pale, toes light bluish, but not bruised,
2.Will the swelling really go away? Is that when I should be able try to do excercises. Move it
3.blood clots concern me because the swelling has caused so many bulges in my veins.
Sorry so long.
Anon_22455 responded:
If you are concern with blood clots, you need to see a doctor and they could answer your other questions.

From my experience and what I have been told, a severe ankle sprain can take 3 to 4 months to recover, eventually the swelling goes away.

Have you had X-ray taken?

Sometimes one might have subtle fractures that might go unnoticed even with x-ray work-up.

As for the driving, I have to say you would be better to bide your time and let your ankle heel.

3 years ago, I have sprained my ankle, it went so far that the tearing of the ligaments caused bony damage (small fracture). My foot was swollen and bruised for months.

So, if you feel like you need more help from your doctor don't hesitate to go back; or if you don't trust the advice you have been give don't hesitate to get a second opinion.

Helpful Tips

Running ShoesExpert
Remember to replace your running shoes every 300-400- miles or every 6 months. Many running related injuries are due to worn out footwear. More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 42 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center