Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Avulsion Fracture - 5th Metatarsal of Left Foot
terter posted:
On Easter Sunday I fell from the porch steps and injured my foot. I heard the pop as I went down. My ankle itself did not hurt. I immediately got up and hobbled into the house, elevated my foot and applied an ice pack; 20 mins on followed w 40 mins off. Walking was very painful. The next morning I went to the ER, was x-rayed, and doctor confirmed the fracture. They fitted me with a rigid-walking boot and I walked out of the ER department and out of the Hospital using the walking boot and a walking staff. Except for washing my foot and changing socks, I have continued to wear the boot, even to bed.

I did not have much of a choice, but to walk on it due to the logistics of getting around. I live on a remote island, with a steep and rocky beach to traverse, and use a small runabout boat to commute to the dock in town for going to work.

Now, in the 2nd week I have tried limiting my weight-bearing - attempted again to use crutches in town and at work. After 3 days, my hands (CTS), upper-body and neck could no longer handle it. I switched to a walker (with almost no w.b.) and that was a little better. However, I cannot maneuver at work with the walker; the corridors and doorways where I have to work are not adequately clear or sized, definitely not ADA. I informed my supervisor that I would not be to work until after I see the Doctor next week for a follow-up and have been placed on FMLA.

Do you think that my walking on it for the first week has prevented or delayed the fracture's healing?

Helpful Tips

My Easy Fix
I went through ALL the treatments, physical therapy, steroid injections, different shoes, "the boot"...none of it worked. Then, I had a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center