Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Torn ACL and Running
run4funinthesun posted:
I tore my ACL a month ago. I am having surgery in 3 weeks. I have minimal pain, no swelling and some limited range of motion. Can I still run, moderately 3-4miles before surgery? There seems to be a lot of conflicting info.

healhapy responded:
without examining you, we know nothing about the extent of your injury. I had an accident which ruptured three of the four major knee ligaments. I was able to walk and jog without pain, but any lateral movement was excruciating. I had my knee reconstructed 10 years ago by one of the top orthopods in the US. I worked hard at rehab and returned to competitive tournament tennis in 2 years and have continued as a natural bodybuilder/trainer and all other activities I enjoyed without issue. However, I singularly unique-my orthopedist told me that of the thousands of patients he has operated on, I am blessed to have a physique that tolerated surgery well and with my inner drive exceeded the most optimistic of prognoses. As always consult a qualified doctor. God bless you.

Helpful Tips

pain on your bikeExpert
Proper bike fit is one of the more important elements to enjoying a ride. A proper bike fit can help prevent neck pain, back pain, hand ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center