Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Crutches needed for Menial Meniscus Tear?
colaburns posted:
While pending X Ray and MRI testing (doctors testing makes him "pretty sure" I'm dealing with a Medial Meniscus Tear) should I do anything else besides wear a knee brace? I'm on my feet alot since I"m a mom so are crutches needed or should I be trying to "use" the knee to help strengthen it? Finding mix information online regarding this. Thanks.

biancalthompson responded:
Hi

I had the same tear in my right knee after a nasty fall playing soccer. I didn't use crutches. I could bear some weight with minimal pain so I continued to try and "use" the injured leg. Good luck to you and hope it gets well.

Mary Ann Wilmarth, PT, DPT, OCS responded:
Colaburns

Whether or not you need to use crutches can depend on a couple of things. First, it can depend on what type of tear you have in the meniscus and where it is located. Second, you need to see how your knee responds to your daily activities. If you find that by the end of the day your knee is swollen and warm, then you may need to use the crutches, at least for some of the time. If you do not use both crutches, then you can use one crutch in the opposite arm, for example, if it is your right knee, then use the crutch in your left arm and put it forward at the same time as your right leg when you walk. Additionally, if you have swelling and or pain in the knee, then ice for 10-20 minutes at the end of the day for the knee is helpful as well.

Good luck.

Dr. Wilmarth
Dr. Mary Ann Wilmarth

amcate responded:
I don't have the same injury, but with my hip injury I use the minimal amount of crutch support needed to avoid severe pain. I see how the hip responds, and if its absolutely screaming in pain and I'm in tears, then I increase crutch support. If there is no pain for awhile, I try to decrease crutch support. I just listen to my body and adjust depending on the pain level. There's a balance because it's important for me to exercise the injured leg, but if I overdo it then the damage can become worse. However, I don't know much of meniscus tears, so not sure if this is helpful in your case or not.

Helpful Tips

Running ShoesExpert
Remember to replace your running shoes every 300-400- miles or every 6 months. Many running related injuries are due to worn out footwear. More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center