Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Posterior tibial tendon torn..tendon wrap repair scheduled
tammyw83 posted:
Hello,

I am curious if anyone else here has had a tendon wrap surgery on their Posterior Tibial tendon and if so, how did your recovery go?

My injury involves a reinjury of this tendon, with the first time it was torn being in March 2011 while I was an active duty Soldier and the surgical repair was done by Army docs in January 2012. That time, they actually almost missed it because it never showed up on the MRI. When they went in for that surgery, they initially only were expecting to clean up damage from tendinitis, but they remembered where I felt the pain so they followed the tendon up and found a 1.5 cm tear. At that time, they said they simply overstittched the tendon at the point of the tear and called it good. My ankle never fully recovered though as I did not get put into physical therapy until December 2012. I was discharged from the Army in April.

In June 2013, I reinjured it. The only thing I can think of that caused it to retear was the stress of wearing dress shoes rather than boots. What is really weird is when I realized it was messed up again, I was in bed and an incredible amount of pain hit me. How weird is that?! At any rate, I made an appointment within a couple days with my PCM because it was not going away. He checked over and did x-rays which came back normal. He also put me in a Cam boot and referred me to the Podiatry clinic. The team of residents agreed I did something to it, but they weren't sure what, so they put me on crutches for 3 weeks. Came back, no change. I was told to stay non weight bearing for another month and if it is still hurting, a MRI would be scheduled. Waited that month, no dhange agaiqn, so MRI was then scheduled and I was continued as non weight bearing on crutches. By this time, I was getting rather frustrated with the lack of any decisions or solid help, so I scheduled an appointment with the VA to get another opinion by the Podiatry team after the MRI was going to be done. A month wait for MRI and then another month wait for a follow up with Army docs yielded a radiologist diagnosis of possible tear, but the Podiatry residents were not so sure despite my ankle presenting exactly like it did when I first injured it in 2011. They were not convinced there was anything surgically repairable, but they did want to try doing a PRP procedure, which they said had about a 50/50 chance for success. That was not what I call a solid option especially considering surgery was the next option using a tendon move and possible bone fusions for the repair by them. So, with that, I went to the VA doc to see what their thoughts were. After laying out what has already been tried and/or done as well as them looking at the MRI, the doctor recommended using a tendon wrap. He said that the overstitch done in 2012 was pretty much guaranteed to fail and he will have to go in and clean up and remove the past work done and pretty much start over. He said the chances of a good recovery using physical therapy from the start are high. Based on that in comparison to the Army docs' plan, I opted to see the VA for further care. At that time, he also took me off the crutches and out of the boot and into a very strong brace while I wait for the surgery, which is not until the end of April 2014.

I am still about 90 days out from surgery, but the pain is getting worse quickly. I cannot be on my feet long and even just sitting, I am still maxing out the amount of Tramadol I can take. If I have to go to the store or something, I have to take Vicodin. I also have to ice multiple times a day to keep the swelling down.

With that all said, I am curious if anyone in here has had or seen a similar issue or has had or seen a tendon wrap procedure. I would really appreciate your thoughts regarding the procedure, recovery time, and/or their life after they were recovered. I am only 31 and I don't want to be a gimp for the rest of my life, especially with 3 young kids.

Helpful Tips

Hydration and the HeatExpert
Keep in mind with the warmer weather upon us, that our bodies will take some time to adapt to the temperature changes. Our bodies adapt ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center