Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Knee surgery
An_255383 posted:
Anyone know anything about muscle manipulation? I had reconstructive knee surgery back at the end of July. The pain in the opposite leg has been almost worse than the surgery. I am still after all these months walking with great pain, cannot bend down or get on my knees. Doc said I severely stressed the ligaments in the opposite knee but it feels like all the muscles in that leg surrounding the knee are so tight they are about to burst. Any ideas?

texshay responded:
more info..on the injured knee I had a complete replacement of the acl and a shattered bone and had the meniscus repaired. The doctor said all the stress on the opposite knee was caused from compensating for the one I had surgery on. His diagnosis to me was no exercise at all and to baby this knee until it was well, but I feel like it's just getting worse. That is when I heard a family member talking about having the same results as me and her doctor put her under and did something called muscle manipulation.

maryann_wilmarth responded:
An_255383

Any time you have major surgery such as you had with your reconstructive knee surgery, your opposite leg has to compensate for some time while you recover and learn to bear weight and walk normally with the leg that had surgery. It is very important to ultimately have balance between all muscles in the lower quarter, meaning from the waist down to the feet. This means that front to back and side to side - the muscles should be both strong and flexible and equally so on both sides of the body. You could have an imbalance of some sort going on with your non-operated leg.

I would assume that you have been working with a physical therapist at some point during your rehabilitation. A PT can assess your biomechanics and muscle and soft tissue length and strength and determine what interventions are needed to get you feeling better. This could include exercises and or manual therapy, which would include the type of muscle treatment that you mentioned.

If you need to find a PT you can do so at Find a PT at:
www.moveforwardpt.com

Good Luck.

Dr. Wilmarth

Helpful Tips

pain on your bikeExpert
Proper bike fit is one of the more important elements to enjoying a ride. A proper bike fit can help prevent neck pain, back pain, hand ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center