Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
knee popping
shortstack2190 posted:
what should i do when i feel like my knee is popping out of place with the knee cap and i have to stop when it happens. I randomly have it happen and it is a sharp pain. I have to stop what i am doing and take all pressure off of it until it feels like its back where it is supposed to be.

Mary Ann Wilmarth, PT, DPT, OCS responded:
Shortstack2190

It sounds like you may have what is called subluxation of the patella or kneecap. This often happens when there are muscle imbalances in the lower extremity. This can include weakness in the hips and thighs that can affect the knee.

Often, a program of specific strengthening of the muscles of the hips, legs and core - along with appropriate stretching and cardiovascular work - can resolve the knee dysfunction of 'popping'.

However, it is important to have your knee assessed by your primary care doctor or an orthopaedic surgeon, or a physical therapist before you start your exercise program.
You can find a PT at Find a PT at:
www.moveforwardpt.com

Good Luck!

Dr. Wilmarth
Dr. Mary Ann Wilmarth

Helpful Tips

pain on your bikeExpert
Proper bike fit is one of the more important elements to enjoying a ride. A proper bike fit can help prevent neck pain, back pain, hand ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center