Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Muscle Soreness
An_255476 posted:
I am 67, 6' 5", 330 lbs, workout every day but since about New Year my muscles have been killing me. Both shoulders, the backs of my thighs (hammies?), and my knees. I have been stretching but it does not help much. during the winter I either walk or ride a recumbent at the gym. during the summer I swim between 40 and 60 minutes - I can hardly wait. I just made up my mind to lose this extra weight but I have been carrying it for a long time - that may have something to do with it,
Hugie

Mary Ann Wilmarth, PT, DPT, OCS responded:
An_255476

For starters, it sounds like you need to reassess your workout plan/schedule and it would be helpful to do this with a certified trainer or a physical therapist. You can Find a PT at: www.moveforwradpt.com

Some things to consider may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- taking a day off
- cross training more than you are currently
- adding in swimming to your winter workout, even once a week can be beneficial
- try foam rolling for your muscles, but be careful with your shoulders when you do this: it also works your core muscles which can be an added benefit
- look at how you are stretching - possibly you are over stretching and this could make things worse rather than better
- make sure that the adjustments are set up correctly for your size and height on the recumbent bike otherwise this can cause knee, hamstring and or low back pain
-finally, but importantly, yes, you do want to try to work on losing weight to be at a healthy weight for you, but it needs to be gradually and you may want to consult with your PT who can let you know if you need to consult further with your primary MD and or a nutritionist

There is more, but hopefully this gives you a few things to think about and to start with for now. Take it one step at a time, sometimes literally; otherwise you may make too many changes at once, and then you may not know what is helping and what is not. Good luck!

Dr. Wilmarth
Dr. Mary Ann Wilmarth

Helpful Tips

Hydration and the HeatExpert
Keep in mind with the warmer weather upon us, that our bodies will take some time to adapt to the temperature changes. Our bodies adapt ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center