Skip to content
Meniscus tear?
bgrund4 posted:
I injured my knee at volleyball practice Sunday night. I hit a slick spot in the floor at a sprint, causing my leg to twist from the knee down. I was already diving, so all of my weight hit and my knee locked. I felt a cracking/popping sensation. Pain started immediately, but I was able to get up and finish practice. The pain and swelling got worse over the next 12 hours, and my knee had started to lock up. My doctor told me Monday that I may have popped my knee out, and may have torn my meniscus.

I had a possible meniscus tear in the same leg in October, but it was never confirmed. The swelling has gone down a little in the last day, but not much. I've been using crutches to keep weight off because my knee either gives, or feels unstable and even more painful when I walk without them. I'm going to an orthopaedist Tuesday.

Am I handling this correctly? How likely is it that I tore my meniscus?

atti_editor responded:
Hi bgrund4,

Did you get in to see the orthopedist yesterday? What was your diagnosis? A meniscus tear is a common knee injury. Here are some symptoms that you can compare yours to to try and determine the likelihood that this is what you have if you have not yet seen the doctor.

The common home treatment methods for knee injurie s is RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) so using crutches is a good idea to keep pressure off your knee. You might want to also try the other methods to see if that helps with the pain.

Best wishes,
Atti

Helpful Tips

pain on your bikeExpert
Proper bike fit is one of the more important elements to enjoying a ride. A proper bike fit can help prevent neck pain, back pain, hand ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center