Skip to content
Pelvic Floor Strain/Spasm?
wavegrease posted:
Ill cut to the chase:

I began a lower body workout about 4 weeks ago. It consisted of squats (Only my own body weight or with a small dumbbell), glute bridges (Single and 2 leg) and kettlebell swings.

I did this 2-3x per week. I just went to muscle failure - I never paid much attention to my numbers. (Except to maintain symmetry with the single leg glute bridges) Admittedly, I failed to do any real warm-up or stretching before and after the workout.

In addition to better than expected results, I have developed a problem with my pelvic floor. It feels like it is in spasm with an occasional dull pain. The problem is aggravated when I sleep - I normally sleep with my knees pulled up to my chest. The problem seems to be alleviated slightly when my legs are extended. (Hamstring stretches appear to be most effective for temporary relief) I have since stopped all strenuous activity for 2 weeks, with lots of stretching - Ive had inconsistent results.

From the information given, can you take a guess as to where the issue is? Is this a muscle imbalance? Nerve impingement? Something that can be remedied with prolonged stretching? (I am aware that the lack of stretching/warmups and probably poor form are contributors to this - my lesson is learned, I just want to fix the damage I have done now!)

Thanks for any info!

Helpful Tips

Running ShoesExpert
Remember to replace your running shoes every 300-400- miles or every 6 months. Many running related injuries are due to worn out footwear. More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center