Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Cramping all over
tomferg55 posted:
I get a lot of cramping in my side(s) abdomen, solar plexus and chest; it's like the muscles pull and strain involuntarily or with the slightest amount of effort.
Some background, I'm 58 yo WM in pretty good shape. I do have a pacemaker since last October but dug a 30x15x4 foot koi pond in November.
At one point I was taking 80 mgs of Lasix but it's been cut to 20mgs.
I take a potassium supplement, 595mgs, and I drink a lot of fluids but do not drink alcohol since 2003.
I get leg and finger cramps too, but figure that's from the nature of my work...stonework, concrete, landscape design and installation.
If I need to drink even more fluids, fine, just concerned there might be something else going on.
When my chest muscles cramp, visually, it looks like someone is pushing a golf ball out of my chest from the inside. They last only a few minutes but are quite painful.

atti_editor responded:
Hello tomferg55,

You might find this article on muscle cramps helpful. Some medications can cause muscle cramping, and Lasix is listed in the article as one. You might talk to your doctor about the possibility of this being the cause.

You mention that you work in landscaping design and installation, etc; if you work outside in a hot climate, you could also be experiencing heat cramps -- they are often caused by an imbalance in electrolytes (minerals such as sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium), so replenishing these as you work could help ease the occurrence of your cramps. These cramps are often painful, brief, go away on their own and are involuntary.

I'm not sure about the visual aspect of your cramps, and your doctor is better suited to identify if it is your medication or something else that is causing your cramps and if anything needs to be done to treat them.

Best wishes,
Atti

Helpful Tips

Running ShoesExpert
Remember to replace your running shoes every 300-400- miles or every 6 months. Many running related injuries are due to worn out footwear. More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center