Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Quad/Muscle Injury
hollebums posted:
hi, i hurt my quad sprinting end o jan. started doing distance training again mid Feb. did a 10km, now both my thighs are in pain. any ideas? knowledge? suggestions? iv tried bandages, compresion etc, havent done any sports for 3 weeks now, still in pain...please anyone who can help????? HB

atti_editor responded:
Hello hollebums,

Did you suddenly increase the intensity or distance of your runs? Or is a 10k a normal thing for you? You could be suffering from an overuse injury or a strained or even torn muscle . Rest, ice, compression and elevation are common treatments for this type of injury, but since it sounds like you have been doing this for 3 weeks without improvement, I suggest you make an appointment to see a doctor. There may be an underlying cause to your pain that needs to be addressed, or your doctor could have some.

Have you tried massage or heat to aid in your muscle recovery? Stretching and cross training techniques are also important components of avoiding muscle pain.

Best wishes,
Atti

hollebums responded:
hi,
yah i heard a pop sound in my leg when sprinting in Jan. started running again end feb. do 5km training runs and play indoor soccer. then did a 10 km race start March, next day bBoom! both my legs were giving me pain. havent been able to do anything afterwords since, any excersion causes me some pain.

yes use deepheat and arnica oil every day. and transact patches.

what do you mean by cross training techniques please.

atti_editor replied to hollebums's response:
Cross-training just refers to training in different sports -- for example running, weight lifting, and yoga -- and that you alternate your participation in them. Cross-training aims to target different areas of the body and condition for different things -- as in the above example you would have cardio, strength and flexibility training.

Most likely your injury is due to overuse and will need time and rest to heal, but the popping that you heard could signal more of a traumatic injury that would need the evaluation of a doctor. Here is some information on sprains, strains and other sports injuries that you might find helpful to look over.

-Atti

Helpful Tips

pain on your bikeExpert
Proper bike fit is one of the more important elements to enjoying a ride. A proper bike fit can help prevent neck pain, back pain, hand ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center