Skip to content
HIP BURSITIS caused by IT Band Syndrom
mleelee posted:
My daughter is 17, and has suffered from chronic hip bursitis since she was 14. We just had another MRI, and it showed that her IT band is thickened and is constantly rubbing on her trochanter bursa, causing the chronic bursitis (the bursa was also inflamed, but the IT band was 2+mm thicker on that side). Our sports med/orthopedist has seen this only a handful of times in his career, but is recommending surgery.

A synopsis of what she has been subjected to over the last 4-5 years;
  • 6 weeks of acupuncture and deep tissue massage,
  • two courses of PT,
  • 6+ weeks of strict rest,
  • ice,
  • heat,
  • pushing through,
  • 4 solid weeks of 3x a day foam rollers,
  • chiropractor,
  • anti-inflammatories,
  • cortisone shots,
  • prednisone
The NSAIDS offered the best relief, but she ended up in the hospital with SJS from those...so they are not an option!!

My daughter (and I) would LOVE to hear from anyone out there who has had a similar experience that they would be willing to share.
Thanks in advance!!

maryann_wilmarth responded:
mleelee

This is a a very tricky area to deal with and then any time you add in the IT band it just magnifies the problem. I would ask about three other variables. You may have looked into these, but in case you have not, I would definitely have them assessed.

1. Leg Length Discrepancy: Does your daughter have one leg that is longer than the other? everyone has some difference, but possibly there may be more of a difference at hand here. Does she run? Runners can get this on the leg that is longer sometimes, but it can actually happen on either side.

2. Biomechanical Evaluation: Did your daughter have a complete evaluation from head to toe? There can be dysfunctions or asymmetries from the feet to the hips to the pelvis, spine and so on that can have an effect on the bursitis. You want to make sure that the body is properly aligned with the least amount of stress on the hip and bursa. This along with a leg length difference could mean orthotics for the shoes, they could be just something you buy at a store or they could be custom from a physical therapist specializing in that or a podiatrist.

3. There may be muscle imbalances in the buttocks and anywhere from the waist down in your body. It is all about the balance and it all connects. And the core abdominal strength and stability is of utmost importance even for a problem in the hip like this.

You may have been through some or all of these things, but I just want to make sure that you have. The parts of rehabilitation that I mention above are of utmost importance.

Good luck.

Dr. Wilmarth

Helpful Tips

Hydration and the HeatExpert
Keep in mind with the warmer weather upon us, that our bodies will take some time to adapt to the temperature changes. Our bodies adapt ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center