Skip to content
Cervical Laminoplasty
An_256632 posted:
I was born with a congenitally narrow spinal canal. My arms and hands are going paralyzed. My neurologist says if I don't get cervical laminoplasty I will be paralyzed from the neck down in a wheelchair and a diaper for the rest of my life. According to life insurance actuaries 1 out of 15 people who get the radical surgery dr lipson wants to perform, die on the operating table. Lipson wants to sever C2 through C7, vivisect all the muscles tendons and ligaments that get in his way and not re-attach them, because he is a neurosurgeon not an orthopedic surgeon. He intends to encase my cervical spine in a metal armature and have his assistant stitch the skin closed over his job of mutilating me. Of the people who do not drop dead altogether, close to half are paralyzed from the neck down as a result of the surgery. Of the remainder most have palsy from the neck down and slowly go paralyzed. All who survive need to take much stronger pain meds than I'm on now, possibly for the rest of their lives. I would lose my job, my independence and be too medicated to drive.

Take the Poll

Cervical laminoplasty does not undo current nerve damage. I will not regain my former athletic abilities or hand dexterity. I am alone, I have no one to take care of me. Should I get this surgery.
  • life is short, go for it
  • Nursing homes are not that bad
  • there are worse things in life than being in a diaper
  • independence is overrated
  • If your too medicated to drive you won't care that your paralyzed
vote
View Poll Results

undefined responded:
Are you prepared for death? If not, I would definitely advise making preparation before undergoing the surgery. If you have questions about my concern for you, please let me know and we can arrange to talk privately. Once you are prepared to die, you can then best decide how you want to live out your remaining days.

tithonia replied to 33300594's response:
Have not found some to adopt my cats yet

Helpful Tips

Ankle injuries
Anything beyond a grade 1 lateral ankle strain I feel is best treated in a Fx boot and or cast with WBAT or crutches. Follow up xrays a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center