Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    chronic ankle pain and instability from soccer. x rays conflicting
    22yearyoung posted:
    So I'm 22 and injured my foot playing soccer when I was about 17. I kicked the ground instead of the ball and my foot exploded in pain. Later my foot swelled but seeing as I was staying at my friend's house back then, I never saw a doctor and just walked around with a limp. That limp never left me and I've had weakness in my foot throughout the years. About 2 years ago I kicked the ground again, sprained my foot a few times, and now my foot clicks whenever I walk. I feel a consistent instability, chronic pain and my foot has weakened. I can't bear weight on my ankle anymore, let alone play sports.
    I've had several x rays done on both ankles by x ray offices. One office said I have arthritis at the talus; another a year later said there's nothing wrong with my ankle. What do I do now?
    maryann_wilmarth responded:

    It sounds like you have ankle instability given your history that you describe. Even without the X-ray results, I would not be surprised if you had some arthritis on the talus. This is the bone in the center of the ankle where the medial (Inner) and lateral (Outer) bones rotate around it (The mortise). You want to try to make it so that you do not have the clicking in your foot every time you walk.

    I would recommend that you see an orthopaedic MD to assess whether you need additional diagnostic imaging for your ankle.
    I would also see a physical therapist to work on ankle stabilization. You will need to go through a good program of strengthening and stabilization not only for the ankle, but for the areas above including the hip and core and below. Balance and propioception - knowing where your foot is in space is important in order to avoid future injuries.

    Other things that may be necessary include flexibility, manual therapy including joint mobilization done by the physical therapist, and even orthotics or inserts for your shoes to make sure that you have optimal fit for your feet in your athletic and regular shoes.

    Finally, you may benefit from running assessment, which a PT can do for you as well. It may sound like a lot, but we put it all together into your program and you will be stronger than ever once you are done if you stick with the program on your own as well as in the clinic.

    Look for a PT at: Find a PT

    Good luck,

    Dr. Wilmarth

    Helpful Tips

    Hydration and the HeatExpert
    Keep in mind with the warmer weather upon us, that our bodies will take some time to adapt to the temperature changes. Our bodies adapt ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    26 of 36 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center