Skip to content
Concerned about Foot Fracture
lnicosia posted:
Good Morning,

I'm a music teacher and yesterday a student knocked over a drum and it fell and hit my foot (I was wearing ballet flats, so the drum literally landed on the top of my foot). By the time I got home from school, my foot was swollen out of my shoe. There is now lump on top of my foot, but it's not really too discolored. It hurts quite a bit, like to point or flex my foot and moving my toes really hurts, and I didn't sleep well bc I'd move and wake up from pain. At what point should I see a doctor? I really don't want to go (which is why I am posting here). What is the likelihood that the drum landing on the top of my foot would cause a fracture and how would I know, other than an x-ray?

Thanks!

atti_editor responded:
Hello Inicosia,

Ouch! That sounds like it hurt pretty badly. Here is some information on the symptoms of a fractured bone . An x-ray is really the only definitive way to determine whether or not the impact of the drum fractured your foot (unless your doctor can diagnosis you with just a physical examination).

Has your swelling gone down at all with rest and ice? It is a good idea to seek medical advice if you think a bone in your foot may be broken (even though you don't want to go, not getting the proper treatment early can worsen your injury if a bone is broken).

If you have any numbness or tingling it is important that you get to a medical professional asap. Also, if the swelling has not gone down, or if you notice and increase in pain (or no change) you should also seek medical attention. Try to stay off your foot as much as possible while you wait for your appointment. Our Symptom Checker may also help you determine what is the best course of action. Please let us know how you are doing!

Best wishes,
Atti

Helpful Tips

Hydration and the HeatExpert
Keep in mind with the warmer weather upon us, that our bodies will take some time to adapt to the temperature changes. Our bodies adapt ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center