Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Achilles Tendon detachment
bebe55 posted:
My husband has been dealing with a torn Achilles tendon for awhile. It totally snapped yesterday. He feels great!!! What are the drawbacks of not having it reattached??

atti_editor responded:
Hi bebe55,

Even if your husband is feeling good now, I would still advise you consult his doctor about treatment options. Are you sure that his tendon fully ruptured? Generally, torn Achilles tendons cause a sharp pain follow by swelling or bruising, possible severe heel pain, and not being able to go go on tiptoe.

If you are sure, you should try to keep his foot immobile -- his doctor may suggest a cast, splint, or even surgery. As this article explains, an untreated Achilles rupture will cause weakness when you walk and over time walking will become difficult. Early treatment is best. Please let us know how your husband is doing!

Best wishes,
Atti

bebe55 replied to atti_editor's response:
atti_editor,
Thanks! We have an appointment for this coming Thursday with his orthopedic. Pretty sure it is a complete detachment,
you can actually see the instability in his leg from the back when he walks. It is extremely swollen. Just amazed the pain is only about a 2!! You can actually feel the tendon rolled up under his calf and the total hole above his heel.
I will let you know what we find out on Thursday.
Bebe

atti_editor replied to bebe55's response:
That is amazing that his pain is only at a 2! I'm glad he feels less pain than prior to the detachment, and that you were able to get an appointment for Thursday Please do let us know what you find out from the doctor.

-Atti

bebe55 replied to atti_editor's response:
Well the doctor highly recommends surgery. The effects of not repairing it apparently are pretty bad. The Achilles apparently stops your heal from slamming the ground when you walk. Without repairing it the heal would be in great pain soon. The only thing he can not do now is stand on his tip toes on his right foot. But I know that God did not just randomly place that tendon there!!! It has its job. Now we have to figure out how to pay for the surgery! Thanks for your info and support!

Helpful Tips

Running ShoesExpert
Remember to replace your running shoes every 300-400- miles or every 6 months. Many running related injuries are due to worn out footwear. More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center