Skip to content
excruciating pain after starting exercise over 50
An_257678 posted:
I haven't played tennis in 18 years. I'm over 50 and started playing again. I would not have considered the tennis strenuous 18 years ago. I thought I was taking it easy. For my age and lack of activity, perhaps it was strenuous.
Within days, my entire body was in severe pain even deep inside my chest and pelvis. The pain caused a severe tension headache which disturbed sleep. I started taking ibuprophen and aspirin, switching off every 4 hrs. I took a day off work and took a steam bath, sauna, jaccuzi, swam a few laps in the cool water and drank water. The next day I shut the curtains and listened to "soundscapes" (helped the tension headache) and browsed webmed. I think it's strained muscles (not fibromyalga or osteoarthritis).
I'll lay off tennis until the tears in my muscles heal, 10 days to 2 weeks, sauna, gentle swimming and stretching.

Take the Poll

Has anyone else had this experience? What did you do about it?
  • self care
  • went to the Dr., diagnosed with strained muscles
  • went to the Dr., diagnosed with something else
vote
View Poll Results

atti_editor responded:
Just wanted to check in and see how you are doing! Strained muscles can definitely be painful, and playing tennis for the first time in years may have forced you to use muscles that you haven't in awhile. I hope you are feeling better!

over54 replied to atti_editor's response:
Thanks. I do feel better. I used the symptom checker and read the possible causes of not being able to exercise much. Though I can't be sure I have it, I am proceeding as if I do have fibromyalga. I'm treating it with improved diet, supplements and regular exercise increasing intensity very gradually. I have a Dr. who recommends this preventative approach. I've always tried to do this, but since my tennis incident, I am more aware of the benefits of taking care of myself each day, not just drinking water because it's good for me, but because it cleanses me of harmful substances and I want to go to bed a little healthier each night so I can feel better and better and be able to play tennis, work and enjoy my life.

Helpful Tips

Hydration and the HeatExpert
Keep in mind with the warmer weather upon us, that our bodies will take some time to adapt to the temperature changes. Our bodies adapt ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center