Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Pain and sore muscles for days after exercise
    td830 posted:
    I have been working out for 4 months now and every time,I get extreme pain and stiffness in all my muscles and lower back. I was told that I am out of shape and this will go away. I will do light to moderate exercise and still be in pain. All over the counter pain meds do not work. I used ever muscle cream,spray and roll on. I soak in bath with Epsom salts to sore muscle soaks no help. Best and cold doesn't work. Massage doesn't work. I am clueless. The only relief is more exercise. It takes 2-4 days of no exercise for the pain to go away. Any suggestions ? I am desperate.

christinaorr65 responded:
    I had similar issues when I was first starting out. That is very frustrating to still have it 4 months into exercising regularly. Besides drinking a lot of water, I suggest taking a supplement with Magnesium, as well as epsom salt baths. You can also look into a post workout supplement to help you recover faster.

franola responded:
    I agree with replacing fluids. Maybe you need more potassium.

bikayaker responded:
    This post is very timely for me. I could have written it myself word for word. You didn't mention your age. Did you ever find any relief or reason for the muscle pain? If so, please share.

dhyde responded:
    Have you been checked for Fibromyalgia?

Helpful Tips

Hydration and the HeatExpert
    Keep in mind with the warmer weather upon us, that our bodies will take some time to adapt to the temperature changes. Our bodies adapt ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    26 of 36 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center