Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Seeking Surgeon
    An_266590 posted:
    Hello,

I have a question on behalf of my father. He injured his rotator cuff recently. Tore it in two places. His doctor has forwarded him on to speak with a surgeon. However there is a problem. We live in Canada, and sometimes wait times can be a problem. His consultation. I repeat, his consultation appointment, NOT the surgery, is a year from now.

He has limited mobility in his shoulder and it is affecting his quality of life. We are also concerned from research that this problem may worsen over time and result in permanent disability in one arm.

We are considering the option of going to the United States and paying for surgery, however we do not know where to start. How do you locate an appropriate surgeon in the states, and how do you start the process?

Goldenfinches4 responded:
    I am very familiar with the surgery you speaking of. Rotator cuff surgery is a very important surgery that needs to be done sooner than later because the longer you wait the more damage will occur. In a few month time the bones of the shoulder are damaging nerves, tendons and ligaments in addition to the damage already done. The bones may already be shaving themselves. That will cause excruciating Charlie horse type pain and will lock up all movement of the shoulder. The pain will make him scream. YES it is that bad. The nerve damage will be easily noticed because nerve damage ALWAYS is a burning like fire type of pain. I live in Ohio in The United States. I have seen this procedure 3 times, It is VERY IMPORTANT that the shoulder NOT be used to do anything. You need to have that arm in a sling during the day. At night you need something that will prevent as much movement or pressure to the shoulder.

Helpful Tips

My Easy Fix
    I went through ALL the treatments, physical therapy, steroid injections, different shoes, "the boot"...none of it worked. Then, I had a ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center