Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

ankle injury-chronic pain
    Bondel77 posted:
    My name is Bonnie. My husband is 38 years old and broke his ankle 5 years ago. He still has pain in his ankle after all this time. He describes it as a dull ache. If you push in behind the ankle bone itself it hurts him greatly. We have seen 4 orthopedists(including the Hospital for Special Surgery), 2 podiatrists and 4 neurologists. No one can figure out why he has pain. His MRI'S are clear and his EMG didn't show any nerve damage. He has tried PRP therapy, acupuncture (twice),chiropractor (twice), myofascial release massage, many different anti-depressants, nerve pain medications, sural nerve release surgery(some doc told us it would help) and cartilage removal surgery. The poor man is beside himself. We do not know what to do next.

editor_morgan responded:
    Hi Bondel77,

I'm so sorry to hear that your husband is still experiencing pain and discomfort 5 years after his ankle surgery. There is nothing worse than experiencing chronic pain with seemingly no light at the end of the tunnel.

Is it possible that he has arthritis in his ankle now after the surgery? Have you spoken to a doctor about a pain management plan that might work to subdue your husband's pain symptoms and improve his quality of life?

WebMD Community Moderators are unable to give medical advice or a diagnosis, but I definitely suggest that while searching for a remedy to treat your husband's pain to also reach out to your doctor about a pain management plan that will help manage it.

Useful links:

11 Tips for Managing Chronic Pain

Depression and Chronic Pain

Chronic Pain: Causes, Diagnosis and Coping

I also highly suggest that you check out our Pain Management Community where you will find many people who are currently going through the same thing as your husband is. You might be able to find useful information about how other people are treating their pain symptoms.

I promise you that you and your husband are NOT alone. We are here for you!

Helpful Tips

Hydration and the HeatExpert
    Keep in mind with the warmer weather upon us, that our bodies will take some time to adapt to the temperature changes. Our bodies adapt ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    26 of 36 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center