Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

What is Cupping?
    editor_morgan posted:
    "As Michael Phelps powered the U.S. men's 4×100 relay to gold at the Olympics on Sunday, many noticed the big, purple spots dotting his right shoulder and back. Viewers took to social media to speculate: Maybe he fell asleep on his medals? Did he get Zika? None of the above. It turns out the spots are bruises created by a centuries-old traditional Chinese therapy called cupping, and it's all the rage among elite athletes.

So what the heck is it? In cupping, a therapist places a glass cup over the area to be treated. A pump or heat is then used to create suction inside the cup. The suction pulls hard against the skin. It takes about five minutes to apply the cups, which sit on the skin for 15 to 20 minutes. Athletes who've tried it say it feels like a strong pinch."

Click here to read more

Helpful Tips

Cure
    Please, check out my web page. www.walk-n-heal.com I had Plantar Fasciitis and ended up inventing an insert that cures the ailment. My ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center