Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Ankle/Heel Fracture
BankerBB posted:
In February 2009 I had surgery for an ankle fracture and a calcaneus fracture. I had a bone graft and 2 titanium screws put in my heel. My first Dr. did not properly diagnose the calcaneus fracture so I has a lot of pain. The heel had "crunched" when my surgeon went in so she had to pick bone pieces out and lift it up. She told me it would be a good 2 years before it would be as good as it was going to be. Has anyone else had this type of injury, or can anyone comment on it?

Also, does anyone know what the best type of athletic shoes are? I have a pair of Nike Air Walks with the shocks on the bottom but I wonder if there is a better shoe? Someone mentioned New Balance was the best.
jusim81 responded:

I am not a doctor but one thing I know for sure is that everyone's feet are different. One brand might fit me but might not fit you. My suggestion to you is to go to a store, like a place specialized for runners, where they'll look at your feet and at how you walk and they'll make you try different kind of shoes. With that said the shoes that'll you get there won't be cheap, depending what your budget is for shoes.
Blake Boggess, DO replied to jusim81's response:
I agree with the tip mentioned above. It would be good to go to a specialized shoe store. These are usually running stores that could look at your feet and give you suggestions according to you feet and body build. It is difficult to make a global statement that such and such brand is good for you because there are a number of different models for the various types of feet.

Calcaneal fractures are painful and are associated with other injuries in the ankle that occurred at the same time.

Helpful Tips

Hydration and the HeatExpert
Keep in mind with the warmer weather upon us, that our bodies will take some time to adapt to the temperature changes. Our bodies adapt ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 35 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center