Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
"Chipped" Talus Bone
jusim81 posted:
I am 30 years old woman. I am usually healthy and used to exercise a lot but I sprained my ankle (inversion) severely 3 1/2 months ago and I also chipped my talus bone but the fracture didn't get diagnosed until a few days ago. I had an X-ray done at the emergency and they saw a "line" on the bone. Then they sent me for another X-ray (oblique views) and they didn't see any problems. 2 weeks later, seeing that the injury wasn't improving much, my doctor sent me for a bone scan. On the bone scan they saw that "line" again and wanted to correlate with a CT scan, which didn't show any fractures. Then I went to physio 2 months, my balance and strength in my leg improved but the mobility didn't. I went back to the doctor and he sent me to an orthopedist who told me that talus bone is chipped and that 2 ligaments are torn.
I walked with crutches for the 1st week, then with a cane for the next 5 weeks and 2 months without anything. I never had a cast. 2 days ago the orthopedist prescribed a brace that I have to wear all the time, except when I am home.
The thing is that it's not painful at all, so I never thought that it was that bad.
Anybody, any thoughts on this? Or anybody had anything similar?

An_248064 responded:
23 months ago i stepped down off a tractor at work, heard a snap like a pencil breaking.

Extreme pain, no bruising and minimal swelling.
The pain has continued intermittently since the injury.
At the recommendation of a family friend i went to a Sports Med doctor.
X-rays showed nothing
The MRI shows a 15mm chip in the Front Left of the Talus.
Looks like the cartilage is not damaged but the injured portion of the bone is Pure White on scan.
The Doctor proposed going in with a drill, cleaning out the dead bone and replacing with a "bondo" type material.
I am worried about the long term impact of this surgery as opposed to the long term impact of not doing anything.

jusim81 replied to An_248064's response:
This is really something you should discuss with the doctor.
From my experience, although my ankle will never be the way it was before my injury, surgery improve my situation a lot; and I am glad I did it.

Helpful Tips

Ankle sprain prevention
There is a new school of thought emerging on how to prevent ankle sprains. A new training device called "The Shifter" has shown to increase ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center