Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Adhesive Capsulitis?
kelrus posted:
About 8-9 months ago, my left shoulder started to become sore with slight snapping sensation in front. About 3-4 months ago, I went to catch something in the air to stop it and felt the most excruciating pain. Could'nt from that point lift my arm at all with significant pain. I went to orthopedic doctor who thought I had biceps tendinitis and was given a cortisone shot in that area and a sheet of exercises. The shot made it worse.Had MRI and x-ray -- other than inflammation both exams were unremarkable. I went back and got another shot in bursal area and sent to PT with thought that I may have early stages of adhesive capsulitis. I have gotten no where with PT other than a little more range of motion when lifting my arm in front of me. Went back to orthopedic doctor and he gave me yet another shot of cortisone in the glenohumeral joint. Was told if no improvement in 4 weeks I will be referred to surgeon. About 2 months ago I felt a bump (before my MRI) below my deltoid about midshaft of humerus. My PT seems concerned with it as do I but my ortho seems to think it is just fluid/muscle (it is only slightly tender when pressed and it is harder than I would expect for fluid) and is going with original diagnosis of adhesive capsulitis with referred pain. Any suggestions what this could be since the MRI showed no tear. If I am not mistaken, however, I am not sure the MRI included this far down. Any suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Have you read this article on Shoulder Problems and Injuries ?

Here is information on Frozen Shoulder and a salty solution for frozen shoulder .

We also have a member created Frozen Shoulder Exchange .

DUKE MEDICINE
David Berkoff, MD responded:
Adhesive capsulitis need more aggressive treatment. We typically inject the joint the push into PT, sometimes a surgeon will take you to the OR and do a manipulation under anesthesia to break up the adhesions and get your shoulder moving.

As for the nodule, we used to think these were fluid, muscle etc but with musculoskeletal ultrasound it appears that these may be tendonitis of the insertion of the deltoid muscle and they respond very well to a accurately placed steroid injection.

kelrus responded:
Thank you for your answer Dr. Berkoff -- I will be talking to a surgeon in a couple of weeks for manipulation under anesthesia and as for the nodule, you put me much more at ease about it.

granny7x replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
I was diagnosed with adhesive capsulitis about 6 weeks ago after having pain for about 3 months prior to this. I have been going to therapy along with doing therapy on my own on off days. I will be revisiting my orthopedist again next week. The pain is absolutely horrific. I have an office job and thank goodness. The pain is constant. Advil and or Aleve just take a little edge off, but not enough for comfort. The doctor was hesitant to give cortozone shot or do dye testing because he said this sometimes makes things worse. I watched the video of the "salty solution", How successful is this and is it done everywhere? Thanks for any help.

Helpful Tips

Hydration and the HeatExpert
Keep in mind with the warmer weather upon us, that our bodies will take some time to adapt to the temperature changes. Our bodies adapt ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center