Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
diarrhea
An_227277 posted:
When i compete in a run/ triathalon i have an extreme problem with having diarrhea which is extremely embarrasing how do i control this

le1010anne responded:
I also expirence this in some of the 8 marathons I've completed; if it happens, its usually within the first 10 miles. Sometimes it phantom diarhea caused by the adrenaline, but sometimes its the real thing.

The best way I have learned to control it is to not change my diet in any way shape or form for the three days prior to the race.

Most people go out to dinner with friends or trianing partners and change what they usually eat before a long run, carb loading included, but this is just filling your stomach - it takes 72 hours for carbs to turn into usuable glycogen, so carb loading should be stopped by Thurs for a Sun race.

Eat lighter the night before and be sure to eat something substantial but light in the morning of the event; my staple is a peanut butter sandwhich and a banana atleast two hours before for sustained energy a bag of raisins about 30 min before for quick energy.

Lastly, be sure to not leave the house till you've gone "#2" and try again when you get to the event via the porta potties.

Hope this helps -

ps - beer is not a carb! alcohol increases your risk for diareha and dehydration. A glass of wine at dinner the night before can easily contribute to your symptoms.

DUKE MEDICINE
Blake Boggess, DO replied to le1010anne's response:
I agree with anne. Runner' diarrhea is though to be from the divrsion of blood flow to the intestine to the exercising muscle. I would also recommend to avoid caffeine.

jesuswon replied to Blake Boggess, DO's response:
Runner's diarrhea is a weak pyloric valve in action, a pre-run run solves it with the expected movement.

Sancho_Nacho responded:
When the starter gun goes off and your backside starts to froth, Diarrhea, Diarrhea.
When you're runnin' with the pack and your oozing out your crack. Diarrhea, Diarrhea.
When you're still five miles from home and your shorts are full of foam, Diarreah, Diarrhea.
When you cross the finish line and your leg's got hot butt slime, Diarrhea, Diarrhea.

Sorry.

woodz responded:
Hi there.

I've experienced the dreaded "runners trots" and it can vary from mild with lots of gas to some excruciating pains where you would be happy to just let it all out rather than hold it in any longer (never done this though!).

I've noticed that it usually occurs at high intensity when Im really pushing myself or after the 10k mark if Im doing a longer run (which I guess is when it starts getting more intense...).

I've done a fair bit of online research as well as experimenting myself. I've found that stopping and walking for a while helps, or just slowing down, but thats not very practical.

There have been suggestions that it can be due to dehydration so make sure you aren't dehydrated. You didn't mention how far you run but whatever the distance if you are having this problem you should try having some water or sports drink (gatorade/whatever) while you run.

Caffiene is a tricky one. Many runners, especially when competing, like to have coffee or cafeinne pills (No Doz) prior to an event because a) runs are often on cold winters mornings and they need to get up at 5am and be alert, and b) because it helps them go to the toilet before they run (which is also why they get up early to allow breaky to settle and to allow time for the toilet). Going to the toilet before hand is the single biggest factor in my opinion, so use cafeine if you think it will help, but like anything practice with it before any big event.

Many people seem to think the body has trouble digesting when it's under physical stress (such as running) and that high fibre diets make it worse. So try to stay away from brown bread, brown rice, wholemeal pasta, lots of fruit etc before a run. A banana or cereal might be okay but you are better off getting your carbs from white bread, honey, yoghurt, fruit juice just to be on the safe side. Stay away from fatty/rich/heavy foods too! Nothing greasy either!

Anyway, work out a way to go to the toilet first, stay hydrated, experiment in training before any event, work out whats right for you and carry toilet paper just in case!

Tikirn responded:
I had bad loose stool after a 1/2 marathon. It started about 1 hour after I finished the race and I had it the rest of the day. I read an article a few months later that said to stay away from fiber about two days before and the day of your race. you can resume in once you have raced. I tried this with my next 1/2 marathon, and it worked. no loose stool and slight belly ache for a few hours nothing real bad, but never had any stool. So try this it may be true for you also. good luck. theresa
PS: I never eat fiber the day before my long run also. I find it works for this too. no belly ache after my long run either.

Helpful Tips

My Easy Fix
I went through ALL the treatments, physical therapy, steroid injections, different shoes, "the boot"...none of it worked. Then, I had a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center